Date:
Sun, 4 May 2003 13:57:47 +1200
Well, that WAS an interesting exercise.  I followed Emie's link to this
Microsoft 'Product Life' site:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/lifecycle/desktop/business/default.mspx
which contains everything you've ever wanted to know about the lifecycle of
MS products, but were too terrified to ask.

This is no site for the cursory scanner.  The schedules have been prepared
by Microsoft's 'Department of Obfusculation', and are specially formulated
to ensure that after you've read them, you'll be even more confused than you
were to start with.

However, this paragraph caught my eye:

"Microsoft will offer paid incident support on Windows 98/98 SE through
January 16, 2004. Windows 98/98 SE downloads for existing security issues
will continue to be obtainable through normal assisted support channels at
no charge during this time. Customers can request Windows 98/98 SE fixes for
new security issues and these requests will be reviewed. Fixes for any new
security issues can be specifically requested through normal assisted
support channels. Web-based self-help support will be available for at least
one year after assisted support has concluded. Mainstream support for
Windows 98/98 SE ended on June 30th 2002, and no-charge incident support and
extended hotfix support ends on June 30th 2003"

Say what?  Does that second sentence say what I think it does? - that
security-related patches and fixes will continue to be available for Win98SE
until January 16 2004?

I was also interested to note the following dates for the end of 'Mainstream
Support' and 'Extended Support':

Win2K Pro - Mar31 2005, Mar31 2007
WinME -      Dec31 2003, Dec31 2004
XPHome -    Dec31 2006, N\A (which probably means 'No Idea')
XPPro -       Dec31 2006, Dec31 2008

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown