From:
Glenn Josephson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 28 Jun 2001 18:23:10 -0400
Hugh,
Sounds like you might possibly have some bad memory. If you have more than
one memory module, take all but one out, then boot and see if the system
still crashes. If not, try the other modules one by one. If you get the
crashes as you describe from one of the modules, then that one is most
likely your culprit. If you have only one 128 meg module, see if you can
substitute it with another known good one, and see if the problem goes away.
I doubt the problem is in the CPU or the motherboard itself. Another check
would be to boot the system barebones, with just the video card, floppy, and
hard drive connected. See if you get crashes. If not, then start adding
things back in one at a time, rebooting each time, and see what happens.
Hope this helps.
Glenn

> Hello:
>      My problem is, programs regularly crash and I now suspect a hardware
> problem.  Last year I installed Win98, and after repeated crashes, I
backed
> off to Win95 thinking I had too many driver conflicts.  Recently I added a
> router, eliminating several of my drivers and the Win95 environment was so
> corrupted every boot caused a registry error.
>     After a clean reinstall of Win98 and experiencing repeated crashes
(for
> example yesterday after a clean boot, Netscape crashed, then IE crashed
> then PaintShop Pro crashed), I am suspecting a hardware bug.  I am
> convinced this is not a Win98 issue since I run the same apps on my laptop
> without the crashes.
>
> Question:  I would be grateful to anyone who could provide suggestions on
> how to diagnose this problem.  I tried DIAG but get a runtime error and
DR.
> Hardware reports hardware correctly but I am looking for a method to
> perform a comprehensive test against the hardware for bugs.  I am thinking
> I may have a seldom accessed processor or system board glich.
>
> I build my system and it consists of:
> Win 98 SE
> AMD K6-2 333
> MS 5169 MB
> 128 MB RAm
> Matrox MGA-G200 AGP (with latest drivers)
> Fujitsu 13GB HD
> Panisonic CDRW
>
> Many thanks,
> Hugh Gale