From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Sep 2002 23:34:22 -0700
On 6 Sep 2002, at 0:09, Mick Fitzpatrick wrote:

> Hello
>
> I've got a hard wired home network. It uses a standard/basic hub
> and all the configuration works via the Windows XP network wizard.
> It works great.
>
> However, after reading various info on Routers I will probably be
> replacing the hub some time in the future. I'm not gonna rush into
> it as I know little about routers. Therefore, I have a few
> questions please:
>
> 1. From what I understand it will be a case of replacing the hub
> with the router. The router then 'automatically' assigns the
> various network configs for the internet etc. I will also be able
> to add a Mac or maybe a Linux box to it (this is not too important
> for now, but it's something I may do)?

  In precise terms, a router does not replace a hub.  A hub or a
SWITCH sits at the center of a LAN segment; a router sits on the
border between two or more segments.
  Several manufacturers have introduced products which combine a
router and a switch into a single unit.  If you opt for one of these,
its switch functionality CAN replace or supplement your hub.  If you
are using ICS, Wingate, or some such, the router functionality
replaces that gateway on your network.
  (The handing out of configs, via DHCP, is yet another function
often *packaged* with a router product, but you are neither required
to enable it, nor to purchase a router in order to get it.)

Dave Gillett