From:
"Twin*.*Star" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 31 May 1999 10:54:04 -0400
Thanks for the info. Like to keep appraised as much as possible.

The Mtech mobo that I previously used when 168 pin SDRAM and EDO DIMMs
first came out ( currently out of productions) had a similar statement.
It took reading it numerous (at least 10 times over a period of time as
I investigated what is a DIMM. Finally figured out what they were
saying in the sequayed (sp?), Japanese translated. (It was in 3
different sections). That mobo could use mixed SIMMs and DIMMs but only
if both were EDO. If using SDRAM DIMMs, they could not be mixed with
SIMMs of any type (EDO, FP).

I am on another mailing list of all high end user/builders and this
subject has come up numerous times especially several years ago when we
all were trying to sort out this new DIMM thing. These people all use
high end mobo and they all say do not mix SIMMs (EDO and/or FP) AND
SDRAM DIMMs because of the voltage difference. Some have mentioned a
mobo that actually sets the two slot voltages separately and is
therefor okay to mix but I do not remember which one that is. It is
also concurrence on the list that unless you have a mobo that does
that, do not mix SIMMs and SDRAM DIMMs. (As previously mentioned SIMMs
and EDO DIMMs are okay to mix.) Some have done it and their 3.3 v SDRAM
DIMMs don't usually burn up immediately but since the voltage is
considerably out of tolerance, in time, errors, lockup, and maybe
destruction of the DIMM occurs.

Even the newer Super 7 mobos do not allow for this mixing.

That is why when a novice who does not understand and especially does
not have documentation asked the questions, the answer is always do not
mix. Even with documentation, it can be very confusing even for us in
the business what the manual is saying. And since there is no real
speed advantage (theoretical yes but in actually testing that we did on
the other list on many mobos, the SDRAM was actually slower than EDO
SIMMs), I always suggest adding more EDO if you already have it espe
cially on older mobo. And as I said in my previous post, many older
mobos had conflicts with certain brand and/or no brand DIMMs and
certain chips from some manufactures Therefor with all considerations
going with SDRAM DIMMs on an older mobo after using EDO especially with
out documentation, the chance of success immediately and in the future
especially for a novice is slim. Hence, my recommendation, do not mix.

Could it work...stranger things have happened. But most novices are not
prepared knowledge-wise and emotionally (frustration after days of
trouble shooting) for the 98% possibility on conflict and
troubleshooting software lockups, BSODs, etc. due to poor, in proper
application  and/or conflicting hardware.

On the other hand, I am glad you are in the 2 % :-))

Daniel Wysocki
Twin*.*Star Computers
770-498-2582 / 800-816-0663
Fast, Reliable, Wallet-Friendly

----------
From:   Jim Meagher[SMTP:[log in to unmask]]

My EPoX manual states "... supports standard Fast Page, EDO (Extended
Data
Out or Hyper Page Mode), or synchronous DRAM...."  It also states that
DIMM socket 3 can not be used in conjuction with the two SIMM sockets.
There is a discussion about RAM speed, but there is no mention of
voltages
and there is no jumper for RAM voltage, so I assume it just does what
is
necessary.

The other two motherboard manuals have similar statements.

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html