From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:19:33 -0600
At 08:34 PM 1/10/99 -0500, you wrote:
>I'm considering buying an inexpensive scanner for my system.  I already
>have an external ZIP drive and a printer using my parallel port.
>Can I purchase a parallel port scanner or will it be necessary to get a
>SCSI interface since I already have these 2 devices using the one port?

If you want to keep costs down - which I assume since you are talking about
an inexpensive scanner - you can buy parallel ports cards for much less
than a SCSI controller unless the scanner you buy comes with one.  I have a
printer, a scanner and a tape drive all on separate parallel port cards.
This is primarily because my printer will not work on the passthrough port
of the scanner and the scanner driver insists on being on LPT1.  The tape
drive is on another separate card that used to be used for a Zip drive.
All of them are set to use IRQ 7 so there is no problem of using up IRQs in
your system.

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html