From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Aug 2000 13:12:06 -0500
From: "Paul Jones" :Sent: Wednesday, August 09, 2000 2:16 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] CD-R on P133

> A friend/coworker of mine wants a CD-R to be installed on his Packard-Bell
> (I hate working on that thing!) Pentium 133.  He has a 6.8 GB hard drive
> and 64 MB of ram.  After reading about Pam Leming's problems with a
200MHz,
> I wonder if he'll be spitting in the wind with an IDE drive.  Are SCSI
> drives much more expensive?
>
> I think someone on this list had a CD-R on a 486, but was that SCSI?
>
> Your thoughts?
>
> Thank you.
>

> J. Paul Jones

Paul,

I had my first CDR in a Pentium 90 and it was a SCSI.  At that time though
there were no IDE burners yet.  I still have a SCSI CDR and a SCSI CDRW and
have not had any experience with the IDE burners.  I had a Sony 2x in the
Pentium 90 and added an additional SCSI cd rom so that I could copy from cd
to cd.  It is not just the extra cost of the SCSI CDR but you also have to
invest in a SCSI card.  I got an Adaptec 1520 SCSI card which I still use
for the external CD rom on an IDE computer.  I had very good luck with that
Sony and had very few coasters.  I was not able to do anything else while
the cd was burning.  Many SCSI CDR kits come with a SCSI card which can
reduce the total cost some.  Whether you should opt for a SCSI CD burner or
IDE may also depend on what your friend/coworker wants to do with the CDR.
If he wants to copy cd to cd then you should definitely get a SCSI CD
burner.

Mary Wolden

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html