From:
Kenneth Whyman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 Jan 2009 03:52:03 -0700
That ZoneAlarm alert speaks volumes, and your hunch about this being a virus
may be on the money. I have a little USB adapter that would let me hook up a
sick drive to a good computer and use its antivirus scanners to scrub the
drive clean. Only set me back $25 or so and also helped me save data for a
client. Another tactic is to try booting the sick drive in Safe Mode and see
if you can scrub it in place. Sometimes Safe Mode will prevent a virus from
free rootkit scanner like Sophos to your toolkit and one for spyware like
AdAware or Spybot.

Kenneth Whyman
"Chance favors the prepared mind."

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,