From:
Paul Jones <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Oct 1999 18:25:23 -0400
At 04:26 PM 10/29/1999 -0400, you wrote:
>I've been asked to resubmit my question with more detail - so here it
>is.....
>
>The video display is only bright and readeable when the modem board in
>installed - no phone line connected, just the modem board plugged into an
>ISA slot.  When the modem board is removed the display dims to the point
>where the room has to be darkened in order to see even see it.  Reinstall
>the modem and the display returns, take it out and it goes dim again.
>All these plug ins and removals are done with the computer 'off', of
>course.

Perhaps there is a bent connection in the ISA slot you are using for the
modem.  Look in the slot for a piece of metal that looks different from the
others in the slot.  I'm thinking the the modem card pushes it out of the
way, disconnecting what shouldn't be connecting.  Another possibility would
be a cracked solder connection on the motherboard.

Have you tried plugging the modem into another slot?

J. Paul Jones
http://www.mindspring.com/~jpjcet/

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html