From:
"Shawn M. Shea" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2000 00:45:24 -0400
I would leave the current setup with the Linksys hub. Crossover cables can
be buggy and it is easier to troubleshoot with a hub. The only reason to use
a crossover is to save a few bucks and saving a few bucks tends to cost you
some hair I find. Check to make sure the IRQ and I/O range is correct for
the card you are using (consult their website). Load the drivers from the
driver disk as opposed to letting Windows detect them. A lot of times
Windows will detect the drivers via the chipset (Realtek, etc.) and use that
driver which will give you funky connection problems. If you haven't
already, check the RJ-45 cable connections and the cabling itself
(especially if you are using 100mbps)as well as the nic cards are seated
properly in the machines. You can use NetBEUI or TCP/IP. NetBEUI is simpler
to configure and has less overhead but TCP/IP is easier to troubleshoot. If
you are having trouble accessing the second partition make sure you do have
it shared (does the primary machine slow or change when accessing it?). Let
me know how you make out.

Shawn M. Shea
Microsoft Certified Professional
Subject: [PCBUILD] Peer2Peer networking problem
===========================
Before the Gateway, System 1 was networked with a Packard Bell using Linksys
PCI 10/100 cards and a 4 port hub all purchased in a kit.  It worked
perfectly.

They purchased the gateway system, unhooked the PB, and want to use just
these two systems, not the PB.

gateway tech support told them to yank all Linksys products and go buy a
different NIC and crossover cable.

After fiddling with it they finally called me.

I had troubles and the network is up, but flaky.  Not sure how.  Anyway:

Using TCP/IP protocol, like it was before, and have things sort of up and
running.

BUT:  When Gateway accesses System 1's Primary partition, it's ok.  When it
tries to access the 2nd partition, it just sits there with a blank stare for
over 60 seconds, then either works or locks up.  I can not transfer any file
from the 2nd partition to the gateway computer.

Oh, another thing:  When I try to map a drive from the Gateway to System 1,
the gateway locks up...period.. forcing a hard boot.

I hope I wasn't too vague, if so, please let me know.

Thanks for everything

David A. Abbe

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD, Abit's Gentus Linux, Linux Power CD and
      the RedHat Linux CD.  All CDs are always provided at COST!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions