Date:
Tue, 7 Aug 2007 14:15:11 -0400
Original Message --
From: "Sybilgal" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Monday, August 06, 2007 9:40 PM
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] transferring files

Hello all,

My mother just purchased a new Dell, and wants to remove some of the
documents from her OLD hard drive to her new.

We had purchased PC to PC (I think that's what it's called) but it won't
allow you to selectively copy documents.

What options do we have as far as removing some files from the old hard
drive to the new?

Thank you for your help,

Kathleen LaValley

$$$

Good Afternoon Kathleen,

One quick and easy option would be to beg/borrow/buy ;-) an USB pen flash
drive to transfer the documents & other files you want from the old to new
computer. Your mom's new Dell will support USB v2.x with at least six
external ports and her old computer (unless it is really, really ancient)
will likely have two or more USB v1.x ports.

USB pocket flash drives are ubiquitous and relatively inexpensive nowadays
and can be purchased just about anywhere, including Wal-Mart. My personal
perference are the SanDisk Titanium flash drives because they are fast,
durable and handsome. A smaller capacity 512MB pen drive will likely be
large enough to transfer everything in one shot, but I'd recommend spending
a few dollars more and to purchase a larger capacity 2GB or 4GB drive
because their extra storage capacity will most probably meet all your future
needs.

Just to get you started,  I've included inks to USB pen drives at NewEgg.com
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2003240522&bop=And&Order=RATING
and Dealnews.com
http://dealnews.com/categories/Computer/Storage/USB-Pen-Drives/297.html.

One additional note: if your mom's new Dell is running Windows Vista, you
might wish to consider selecting a USB pen drive that is ReadyBoost capable.
The ReadyBoost feature in Vista allows you to use an external flash drive to
increase the amount of physical memory available to the OS for those
occassions when the total amount of installed DDR2 memory might come up
short.

HTH. Please let us know how you make out. I am,

Very truly yours,
Jeffrey Ottie

eom

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: