From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 2000 11:15:57 -0600
At 09:03 PM 08/31/2000 , Kevin Weaver wrote:
>I have a Dell 200Mhz Pentium running Windows 98se. I am trying to add a PCI
>USB upgrade card. I get to the point where Windows is installing drivers,
>then it says it can't find "usb.cat". I have searched my entire computer and
>the Windows CD. Anyone know where this file is hidden?

As it happens, I installed one of these cards yesterday in a customer's
PC.  It was an Aten 2port USB port to PCI card with the Opti chipset.

When we first started Windows after installing the card, it detected it and
installed the USB root driver.  That is why I wonder if you have a chipset
on your card that is not supported by Windows98?  There is an article in the
Microsoft Knowledge base about this issue:
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q240/0/75.ASP

But, to your question about the USB.CAT file:  This file does not exist
in the install CD cab files, but I find it located on my hard drive in a
sub-directory of:  c:\windows\system\catroot

Cat files are referenced by INF files in your c:\windows\inf  directory
and the Cat file contains the driver signature issued by WHQL,
Windows Hardware Quality Labs.  This is part of the driver package.
   http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/Supportability/

I would recommend looking on your card, determining the chipset
used and manually installing a USB driver from the "Control Panel -
Add New Hardware" option, based on the chipset of the card.
That or check the website of the card manufacturer for a driver.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html