Date:
Sat, 3 Nov 2001 03:15:05 -0800
On 30 Oct 2001, at 0:17, John H. Miller wrote:

> There are 2 files in the Windows directory,
>
> 1) "Hosts."
> 2) "Lmhosts."
>
> If you are setting up a Tcp/Ip LAN, you should edit these files with
> Wordpad or Notepad and add the names of each computer with there
> assigned IP addresses.  This might help your problem?
>
> John H. Miller

  What directory these files are in will depend on what version of
Windows you are running.

  The versions initially supplied by Windows have the extension .SAM,
and are "sample" files -- examples of how these files might look in
actual use.  If you need them, you need to strip off this extension,
as well as editting the contents.

  You should not need the LMHOSTS file on a single-segment LAN.  (You
might, if you supplied WINS server addresses even though there are no
such servers on the network.)

Dave Gillett