From:
Peter Ekkerman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 24 Mar 2013 01:04:39 -0500
Hi Erif,

Sounds like video card problems. Unfortunately somewhat common on the Inspiron line.

Overheating of the video section can cause the same symptoms.

Make sure that all vents are clean and free of obstructions and that the cooling fans are running.

While it's certainly possible that an update installed the wrong drivers - which Microsoft did a few times to me

with the ATI drivers, the fact that it happens after using the laptop for some time ,makes me believe it's heat related.

This could be the graphics processor or video RAM  as well that are affected.

Try the cleanup and fan check first .Also do a temperature and voltage check of the internals -

 I think you have a Dell utility for that on the laptop.

 If no luck ,the video card may have to be replaced. While it can be done ,it's a tricky job for an inexperienced person.

Other things to try:

To exclude problems with the display screen and its connections, set the video output to external and connect

an external monitor to the video connector of the laptop.

Go to the Dell Support page and input your model.  http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&l=en&s=dhs

Check Dell forums  http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/default.aspx

Make sure you have no malware running anywhere. If not done yet ,do a thorough scan.

While I haven't personally experienced video corruption due to a virus ,

I have it from several reports that drivers can be (were) corrupted because of a virus.

Peter E.