From:
Susan Llewellyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Sep 2005 10:32:41 -0400
Hi, my sons and I are trying to upgrade their computer. It will mainly
be used for Internet access (mainly music downloads, email, and surfing)
and games (the boys like Warcraft, Lord of the Rings; War of the Rings
and Madden 2005, that type, space monger games!).  The computer had a 20
GB hard drive that was always locking up and the whole system has been a
problem since we purchased it used.  Finally it crashed big time.  We
kept getting this message "Unmountable boot" or something very similar.
Nothing would work, no starting in safe mode, nothing from disc or from
CD.  We decided to replace the hard drive.  We have already purchased a
new HD and discovered that the HD is SATA and the motherboard is set up
for IDE.  We know that you can get an adapter for on the mother board,
are looking at a Bytecc Parallel ATA to serial ATA converter.  Here is
the question...is the motherboard "new" enough to support the new HD?
Here are the specs: The computer is a Gateway 500S PRB original purchase
date of 2001 with an Intel Pentium 4 processor 1500MHz with 128 SDRAM.
I am not sure how to find out the information about the motherboard,
chipset, etc.  We have already added an XTASY Radeon 9200 graphics
accelerator to improve games (last December, it works fine)  The new HD
is a Western Digital Caviar SE Serial SATA Hard drive, 250GB (should be
enough for all the games they want to play without having to uninstall
one to play the other, as they were doing.) Is this adapter going to
help get things connected, or do we need to look at another motherboard
that is more up to date.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Since their computer has been down, they haven't been happy since I will
not allow them to play on my desktop and my lap top is so old it doesn't
have the HD space to install, let alone play any of their games.  Also,
all three are connected to the internet by a wireless connection. Thank
you, Susan Llewellyn

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>