From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 1998 05:02:08 +0000
Sure you can.  Here's an example of the bad things that can happen...if
you accidentally shock your parallel port while you're changing it, that
30,000 or so volts can do horrible things.  Even more horrible if the
computer is on.  Of course, it isn't a guarantee that something bad will
happen, but the odds are higher.

Really all that it takes is a difference in potential from one device to
another and damage from a surge of power is possible.

Now, the question is how probable is the damage...not extremely, but
still, it never hurts to take precautions, especially one so easy as
turning off your computer.

Drew Dunn