From:
Tom Mayer SC <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jul 2010 09:37:21 -0700
  Phil

Your situation is somewhat puzzling to me and perhaps others which may
be why you have not received any replies so far. BTW Your first post did
make it to the list.

Just to be sure what is happening now, I'll try to restate the condition
and you can correct me if needed.

Your build is complete with the exception of one stick of apparently bad
RAM leaving one operating stick. The computer starts up and completes
the boot process till it is looking for an operating system (I assume
you have not installed an OS yet). The challenge is now limited to not
being able to get into the BIOS "setup". You have tried a known good
keyboard.

Have you tried resetting the BIOS using a jumper or temporarily removing
the motherboard battery?

Although it should not matter, have you tried using a USB keyboard? By
completing the boot process the motherboard seems to be basically OK
though the PS-2 could somehow be having a problem.

Try pressing the DEL key several times as soon as the computer begins to
boot.

I know it is not much, but I hope this helps.

Tom

On 7/3/2010 1:31 PM, Phillip Williams wrote:
> Hello,
>
>   (I am re-submitting this as it didn't appear the 1st time)
>
> I just put together a new build with the following components...
>
> -ECS G31T-M mobo (micro atx)
> -(2) 2gig sticks of corsair xms2 DDR2 ram
> -400 watt PS
> -Intel Q9600 Quad processor
> -Optiarc DVD RW (AD 7200A) drive
> -WD caviar 320g sata hd
>
> At power-up, all fans and lights started up for about 3 seconds, went
> off then came back on. No signal to monitor.
>   I disconnected the hd and the dvd drive and one stick of memory and
> it booted up showing the mobo screen with set-up access option of
> pressing del. (This screen also verified an Intel processor x4) Rather
> than trying to enter setup then, I began adding the hardware back in
> one at a time and it still worked till I got to the 2nd memory stick
> which is apparently bad because I replaced the working one with this
> one by itself and got no signal to the monitor.
>   So, after putting the good stick back in and booting, I found out
> that if I pressed del as instructed, nothing happened. I turned off
> the pc and switched the keyboard for one I know works and still no
> response. both keyboards are the non-usb type (PS-2?).
>   I hope it's not a bad mobo as I slowly collected the components as I
> found them on sale and doubt, after the amount of time passed, that it
> would be returnable. (as is the case with the bad ram).
>   Any suggestions as to how to procede from here? I guess I was due a
> problem since my last 3 builds went without a hitch!
>
> -Phil-

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Mark Rode<[log in to unmask]>