From:
John Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 21 Feb 1999 20:17:22 -0500
Dear list members:

I have a Western Digital 3.2 Gig. hard drive in which I have both Windows 95
and Linux installed.  The HD is partitioned as follows:

hda1    hda2    hda3    hda4    hda5    hda6    hda7    hda8
vfat    vfat    linux   ext2    vfat    vfat    vfat    vfat
primary extended        swap            logical log     log     log
                                swap

Of course, I have linux installed on the hda4 partition.  My problem is that I
am running out of room on this partition.  It would be easy for me to reclaim
the space on hda7 by moving what I have there over to hda6.  All of my personal
data is on hda8.

My question is: could I then use linux Fdisk to change this to a linux
partition? That would place it in the middle of an extended partition created
using Win95 Fdisk. Is that going to work or are there other issues involved?
That would probably reassign my last drive letter under Win95, wouldn't it [not
a big problem - just need to reassign some working directory references]?

As another alternative I could move everything from hda7 and hda8 - delete
those partitions and recreate  two partitions at the end hda7 [vfat] and hda8
[ext2]. Would that work better? I still will be mixing vfat and ext2 on an
extended partition created with Win95 Fdisk??

Any suggestions would be most appreciated before I dive in. I have everything
backed up to tape as well as copy it to another partition on the HD before the
'surgury'.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Sincerely, John Rinehart - [log in to unmask]

                            The NOSPIN Group
                            http://nospin.com