From:
Denis Beaulieu <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 02:42:49 -0500
Hi Stephen. I agree with Matthew whole heartedly with regards to Zone Alarm.
Check out www.grc.com for some insight on this subject. Warning: Be prepared
for a lot of interesting reading on this subject.

As for his instructions regarding '95 software v. 98 OS: His instructions
are right on. Having said that, I do believe that there is another, maybe
less tedious way to accomplish the back up task. If You have a '95 CD,
search for "eru.exe" (Emergency Recovery Utility) on your '95 CD. Copy that
utility to your HD, anywhere will do, even on the desktop. Execute that
program. It will automate all of Matthew's commands and maybe more(?). I
don't know why Bill didn't include this with '98.

Mathew, I'd like to hear your opinion (and anyone else'). Is there anything
that your set of instructions include that the ERU doesn't? In my line of
work I look at between  200 and 400 computers a month, all of them a
"stranger" to me, that is that it is the first time and that I've seen that
computer. If it's a PC, running any variation of '95 or '98,  I run this
utility, sometimes for the same reasons Stephen is faced with. It has worked
flawlessly for me for the last 2-1/2 yrs.

Best regards,
Denis Beaulieu