From:
Joel W Bluning <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Feb 1999 23:10:34 -0500
Dear Bill et al,
I have 6 computers including one old mac and verious 4, 5 and 6 x86ers
running networked and on one keyboard mouse and monitor. They run off and
on all day and have been running for more than 2 years in various configs
(WinNT, Win95, MAC OS7.5 (with a special Mac adapter). I use an Omniview
by Belkin. The only concession I have to make is to start each machine
and wait until it boots into the GUI before switching to the next
machine. I don't have to do this with the mac, but I use a seperate mouse
on the Mac ).

The newer auto switches by Belkin and others are supposed to avoid this
inconvenience. And If I were using a PS2 mouse instead of a serial mouse
on the PCs I could avoid the extra mouse for the Mac.

I have also set up other systems with a manual switch. You need to use an
high quality switch or the contacts go bad, usually in the video first
(off colors). The same "boot one at a time" restriction applies here.

I have never had a system freezeup because of the use of these switches.
HTH
Joel Bluming

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 16:51:49 -0800 Robert Fisher <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>I would like to add a word of caution on using switch boxes between
>machines.
>It seems the machine which is not actively connected to the keyboard
>and
>mouse will hang because it can no longer see them. But this does not
>effect
>the monitor because of the one way signal travel when the system is
>idle. So
<SNIP>