From:
Gordon Totty <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Mar 2006 13:34:41 -0500
Problem solved, with deep appreciation for Mr. Poffenberger's help!

If I may, I'm going to go into some detail here, as I think this forum is
one of the greatest computer learning resources available, and a lot of
education is in the details.

One reason I was locked up in this problem with no way to fix it was that I
do not know the IP address of my WAP.  The Belkin tech told me to call
Linksys to see what IP address they assign to the WAP. The Linksys tech told
me that was a question with no discrete answer, but gave me a range of 50
addresses and some tips on finding it.  None worked.  So, I could not access
my WAP from a working, wired computer.  There is a default IP for setup of
the WAP.  Not only did Belkin tell me that was not the IP we needed, but
trying it out did not work.  So, how do I find out the IP of this WAP now
that it is up and working again?

The second reason I was stuck was my reluctance to reset the WAP. It has two
reset modes, which I'll call simple and complete.  The simple reset did not
help me.  The complete reset would destroy all my settings, and I was
reluctant to do this even after the Belkin tech asked me to do so. Turns
out, that is what finally let me get back into the WAP, so it was my
reluctance, not Belkin's lack of expertise, that prevented an earlier
solution.

On doing the complete reset, my wireless connections once more found the
Belkin WAP.  Then, following Mr. Poffenberger's excellent advice, I went in
and changed the operating channel from 11 to 3.  Now, all seems to run fine
again.

I was a short step away from tossing the WAP and buying a new one.  Thanks
for saving me that expense!

Gordon Totty

                 our special coffee mugs and mouse pads