From:
Steve Polatas <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Apr 1999 09:59:07 -0400
Joan,

As a digest subscriber, I've seen the responses to your post below and all have given you good information for using your setup with your cable modem.

I would like to offer an alternate approach.  Check with your cable provider as to how many IP addresses are included with your cable Internet service.  Often, multiple addresses are provided at no charge or a small additional fee (My provider includes 3 in my standard service).  Allowance for a second IP address will allow you to access the Internet from the second PC without the use of a proxy server such as WinGate.  In my home setup, I have two PC's networked together using an inexpensive 4 port hub and ethernet cable.  By simply plugging my cable modem into the hub, and since I have the multiple IP addresses,  I have simultaneous Internet access on both machines without any additional software to worry about.

Good luck with whatever approach you choose to take and please let me know if you would like any more information on the above.

Steve Polatas
North Canton, Ohio

**********
>Date:    Sun, 11 Apr 1999 21:24:13 -0700
>From:    Joan Rapier <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Proxy Server - Network Config
>
>Ok, network gurus, here's one for you.
>
>I have two computers on a peer-to-peer and I have a cable ISP.  I want
>both computers to be able to access the internet w/out having to move
>the cable modem around.  So, I'd like to use a proxy server.  I'm
>thinking about using Winproxy.  I bought Microsoft BackOffice some
>months ago, too but haven't had time to set it up yet.  Still in the
>cellophane.
>
>Question -1:
>If I set up a proxy server, do I have to use a dedicated box or can one
>of the client machines be the proxy server, too?
>
>Question-2:
>How would the scenario differ if I used BackOffice (which includes NT4)?
>
>Both machines are running Windows 95 and one will (soon, I hope when I
>can find time) have at least one other OS on it - NT Workstation or
>Windows 98.
>
>Question-3:
>If I do need to use a dedicated machine for the proxy server - what kind
>
>of horse power does it need to have?  This is not a busy network.  Just
>two machines peer-to-peer running basic business and home office apps.
>Most work is stand alone.  Some file and resource (printer) sharing on
>the network but that's it.  Can I get away w/ a 486 box?
>

>TIA
>
>Joan Rapier

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>