From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Sep 1998 06:21:09 -0600
This happened to me last night.  I was able to get past the problem but I
was surprised that it happened and I'm wondering if this is normal and what
causes it.

I have two old hard disks that I'm sending to someone else.  One is an IDE
Maxtor 7345 and the other is an IDE Western Digitial 2420.  I wanted to
delete everything off the drives before I sent them.  I made a Windows95
startup disk.  I disconnected the power cord and IDE cable from my current
hard drive and connected them to one of the drives.  I booted off the
floppy.  I used fdisk to delete the primary DOS partition and then created
a new one that took up the whole drive.  I then repeated this with the
other drive.  I then rebooted with the floppy, intending to make sure the
other person would be able to use it as it was, and the computer hung just
at the point where it should have displayed "Starting Windows 95".  I could
not get it to reboot no matter what settings I tried in the BIOS.  I then
booted successfully on a Western Digital EZ-Drive disk and used it to
create a new partition and format the drive and then everything was fine.
I was able to boot from my Windows 95 startup disk again.  End of problem,
I hope.

I'd appreciate some reasons for why this would happen.

                                  -----
       **Need help with PCBUILD mailing list? Send an Email to:**