From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Sep 2000 17:44:57 -0400
> If I were to upgrade the processor that came with a Dell Pentium
> P-90,  what is the fastest processor that I could use with the
> original motherboard and power supply?  P-133MHZ-P-166MHZ?
>
> What is the determing factor, the power supply or the motherboard?

        The motherboard (specifically the socket type and BIOS). Chances are the
system is a Socket 5 system in which case it will only support up to a P133,
if it is socket 7 you may be able to go all the way up to a P233MMX,
although I doubt it very much. For the MMX CPUs you need a split power
supply to the CPU, very few boards of that era had that. If it doesn't have
split power supplies to the CPU than the board may support up to a P200. You
will have to check the MB manual or contact the manufacturer for more
specific info than that. TTYL

                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html