From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Dec 1998 12:45:01 -0800
On  8 Dec 98 at 17:52, Harvey Rose wrote:

> I'm working on a 286 computer and can't get it ot go into CMOS. I
> was told use the DEL key. This doesn't work. What comes up is
> "Keyboard stuck key failure." Also it gives me "Invalid
> configuration information - please run SETUP program." "Time-of-day
> not set - please run SETUP program. Strike the F1 key to continue."
>
> I've replaced the CMOS batterys. I have no manuals. Can anyone help
> me? The Computer is by Mind Computers of Winnipeg, Manitoba.

  Generally, 286s didn't have CMOS confiuguration programs built into
ROM.  Instead, you needed to boot from a special "setup disk" with
the configuration program on it.
  There were three or for popular BIOSes in that era; if you can
determine which BIOS is in the machine, you may be able to locate --
or download -- a setup disk to match.

  This page may help:

http://www.firmware.com/support/bios/setupdsk.htm

At least it can point you toward relevant resources.

David G

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html