From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Aug 2000 19:11:55 -0400
At 17:01 08/23/00, Chris Rivenbark wrote:
>Just upgraded a system to an Asus A7V motherboard w/ an AMD
>Thunderbird. The user called up and described what sounds
>like a problem w/ the board detecting the CPU properly.
>She's getting prompts to enter setup and correct the issue
>on boot up. This followed a system lock up when her ISP
>install service loaded his CD into her CD-ROM drive. The
>CD would not finish loading and the system locked up.
>Subsequent reboots including power offs yields the same
>results w/ the BIOS setup msgs.
>The board is currently configured to automatically detect
>the CPU (jumperless).

Hi Chris

I have an Asus P3B-F that has this jumper-less CPU option
and I am prompted to enter setup whenever I interrupt
the boot process. (If I power down before the operating
system has a chance to load.) I believe that it's a
safeguard to protect against booting with improper CPU
or bus speed settings in the BIOS. The BIOS is not forgetting
these settings but is instead designed to prompt you to enter
Setup if the board resets or is powered down improperly...
for any reason.

Regards,
Bill

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,