From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 02:22:12 -0600
From: "Jason Shah" :Sent: Monday, December 18, 2000 1:59 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Home Network Fiasco

> Hi everyone. I am running into lots of trouble just trying to set up two
Win 98 Machines on a simple peer-to-peer network. Configuration: Both
computers connected via identical ethernet adapters (10/100) to a 10/100
Hub. Both running Win98Se. Networking: The systems have Client for Microsoft
Networks installed, TCP/IP, and File and Printer Sharing enabled. I have
both on workgroups of the same name. Now, for some reason, when I click on
Network Neighborhood, they refuse to see each other. They both appear by
themselves in the workgroup. I have tried giving static IP addresses,
switching from TCP/IP to NetBEUI, changing adapters, etc. No luck at all. I
can't see what the problem is. I've also tried booting both in Safe Mode
Command prompt and running net diag. One acts as a diagnostics server and
the other communicates with it successfully. So, I am fairly sure the
hardware is okay. I guess there is something wrong with the Microsoft
Networking configuration. I have also tried completely removing networking
and reinstalling. Any advice would be appreciated.

> Thanks,
>
> Jason

Jason,

Since you are using Client for Microsoft Networks as a logon I believe that
you will have to logon using a username and password to see other computers
in the workgroup. If you cancel the when you are asked for a password you
will not be on the network and only be able to see the computer you are on
in Network Nieghborhood.  You could also select Windows Logon instead of
Client for Microsoft Networks if you don't want a password.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>