From:
"Gary R. Tennesen" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Aug 2000 14:31:35 -0700
  I had problems with a number of "DirectX compatible" sound cards and
joysticks throughout the years and it wasn't until recently that I figured
out where a lot of the problems lie.

First of all, the sound cards using OPLsax or Yamaha chipsets will typically
do poorly with the standard Windows95/98 drivers -- you need to download the
generic driver on the Yamaha web site.

Another problem I have encountered (which is the same as the first problem)
is that a card which states it is compatible may not truly be compatible.

In short, experiment with different sound card drivers which are known to
work with your particular card's chipset.

gary r. tennesen