From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 2000 08:32:56 -0600
At 08:58 PM 07/25/2000 , Bob Zeoli wrote:
>Hi I just upgraded my computer to a Asus P3V133 mother board and a PIII 667. I did a
>fresh install of 98 ( I used 95 before ).  Every thing went fine and the computer&
>printer worked fine for a week.  Then I installed a home network and hooked up to my old
>P200mmx machine ( also with a fresh install of 98).  The internet worked over the
>network fine on both machines.  Tonight I noticed the sound not working on my PIII ( it
>worked last nite).  Checking my Device manager and resources I have a conflict with the
>sound card (Aztec 2320 compatable PNP Audio (WDM)).  Going through the Hardware trouble
>shooter guide in device manager it says I need to use IRQ 5-9-10-11-15 for my sound card
>and none are free ( no free IRQs at all). It gives me a choice of disabling the
>following:  US Robotics 56K Win Int, VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB Universal Host Co
>ntroller, Diamond Stealth III S540 for Windows 98,3Com Etherlink III ISA (3C509/3C509b)
>in ISA mode.   Not knowing what the "VIA Tech 3038 PCI to USB" was I disabled that but
>the computer locked up. This is the IRQ list that I can find: Keyboard-1, Com2-3,Com1-4,
>Modem-5, Floppy-6, LPT1-7, SCI IRQ used by ACPI bus 09, Etherlink ISA card 10, Stealth
>III S540 IR11, ( also on 11 is ACPI IRQ holder for PCI steering), mouse 12, Primary IDE
>14, Secondary IDE 15, ( also on 15 is the VIA bus master PCI IDE controller.  Any
>thoughts or leads to a FAQ on IRQ's for 98 would help. Please tell me its possible to
>have a sound,video,network, printer and modem on one machine?  One thought I have to set
>up the printer on the old machine but that would kinda be a pain to turn that on just to
>print!  Thanks

First you need to consider what you are not using and probably will
not use in the future.  The first thing that sticks out is the Com ports.
Your modem is on IRQ5...  and you make no mention of anything
plugged into a Com port...  which is typical today.  Few people use
Com ports.

Open your CMOS settings of the Bios and disable both Com ports,
(this is if you have nothing connected to them, since your mouse is
on IRQ12, it most likely is a PS/2 mouse, not needing a Com port).

Now you have IRQ3 & IRQ4 to add to the mix.  Now, with these IRQs
free, you should move your modem to IRQ3, (usually the best for a
modem and putting it on Com2).  Now, IRQ5 should be free for your
sound card...  IRQ4 will support your video card...  but, be sure to keep
your Network card on IRQ10 or 11...  often Network cards become fussy
when moved to other IRQs.

You may need to manually set some of your devices IRQs in the CMOS,
especially the ISA cards.  Windows98 has an annoying habit of moving
things to odd IRQs and then not allowing you to change them...  hence
you should use the CMOS to set them.

     Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,