From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Mar 1999 00:22:37 -0500
On Fri, 5 Mar 1999 13:27:32 -0500 James Kerr <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>Is it just me or does there seem to be a shortage with these drives?
>the supplier I used to buy em from has been out of stock for like 2
months
>now and even Ingram Micro ( a huge vendor) has only gotten them in in
>spurts and only Hi-Val ones at that, which are pretty low end. So were
have
>all the drives gone, are they being fazed out? Did the large OEM's start

>buying them up or what? Anyone know?

Zip drives pretty much "locked in" this size format
fairly early in the game. Zip drives decided not to
include backward compatibility with floppies to cut
costs.
LS-120s on the other hand have a double "head set"
which increases their "lowest" cost. They require
Win95B or better to run right (fully), and a BIOS
that will properly support it (to boot from it).
In older systems, they are VERY tricky to understand
all the things you must not "do" with them.
(Phantom drives, twenty minute system freezes, etc.
Yes, I did say a "timed" system freeze. Just "stops"
for twenty minutes, then returns like nothing happened.)
Don't get me wrong, I have two of them.  I think they
will be running long after my zip drive is dead.
Since there are a lot of new computers out in the field
now that will work great with an LS-120 , their newest
problem is that 250m~ floppies are out, or coming soon...
Getting back to your question, if companies don't have
them in stock it "should?" only be one of two things.
1) They are selling like hot cakes.
2) Nobody wants them.
I hope it is the first one so the price of the media
comes down.
If it is the second one, and the media goes up, I will
not replace mine when they die.
See new question by me on this.    Rick