From:
"Richard T." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Apr 2000 23:32:33 -0400
Well Charlie... The Alps is an incredeble printer with wonderful color,
resolution and lots of neat options, including being able to use silver
and gold foil , but the problem with an Alps is that each print will take
a whole lot of time to make, as the printer prints one color at a time and
draws the paper back up into the machine to print the next color. The
cartridges are "ribbons", though relatively inexpensive, could get a bit
pricey for larger quanity printings and are naturally, non-refillable.
Bottom line is.. if you're looking to do larger mailings, the ALPS may be
a bit impractical. The HP, on the other hand, will be much quicker and
probably much more efficient in the $$ dept. Though I don't own one of
these, I'm pretty sure that the cartridges are refillable and HP has
always made "good stuff" in the printer department!.
     My personal choice is Lexmark.. they're like army tanks.. I have them
in my home, office and my store. The one at home (a 7200V) has printed
Thousands of really beautiful 8x 10 photos as well as reams of documents
with NO down time at all.. Right now you can pick up a 5700, which is last
years model for less than $100 after the factory rebate. Cartridges are
expensive, but you can refill them 5 times, some people get even more
refills out of 'em!
Good luck in whatever you do!
Richard Tabas
Philly, Pa.

>   I was
> pretty much set on HP2000 when someone said I would be much happier
> with ALPS DM5000.  Any thoughts out there?  I want to be able to print
> post cards and brochures.

         The NOSPIN Group Promotions is now offering the NOSPIN
        File Download CD... All the files from our File Download
         area and much more...  over 165 files, all on one CD!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions