From:
Bob Wright <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Oct 1999 14:15:44 -0600
At 02:25 AM 10/26/1999 , Dan Gistenson wrote:
>Hello to All,
>
>I'm new to cd devices on computers, so I'd appreciate an explanation to the
>following:
>
>Regarding a cdrw: What does: "4x / 4x / 24x" mean? What's the functional
>difference between the "24x", above, and "32x"? If many of the cd drives are
>"40x", is a cdrw with either of the two specs above limiting which cd drives
>will recognize the disks I'll create?

The listed 4x/4x/24x means:
4x write to conventional CD or non-rewritable
4x write to rewritable CD
24x read of CD data

32x or 40x only is an increase in the speed at which the drive reads
CDs.

As far as creating CDs to be read universally, that is a function not so
much of the hardware CD writer, but of the software package you use
to write the CDs.  Some CD Writer software packages will create CDs
that are not readable by slower CD readers, such as 1X or 2X drives,
at least in the Mode2 default write.  You need to consult your software
package to insure you write universally readable CDs.  The secret to
quality CD writing is not so much in the drive hardware as the software
package you choose.   There are several excellent ones on the market
today, such as NERO, CDWIN and EASY CD Creator4.  Most people start
out with the default software the comes with the drive and buy something
better if  they are displeased with what they get.

    Bob Wright
The NOSPIN Group

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>