Date:
Sat, 6 Mar 2004 09:31:54 -0700
Compaq tech support is certainly correct it is a hardware problem. So what
could it be? You didn't supply much information. It is most likely a power
supply problem.
First thing to check is the brick power supply.  It could have failed and
the laptop would run until the battery goes dead. Get another power supply
to check this.
Then check the battery.
It could also be the switch.
If it is the internal power supply, follow the advice the computer shop gave
you.
It wouldn't be the hard drive, as it should at least start to POST with a
bad HD.
On behalf of the computer shop let me say that troubleshooting these types
of problems on laptops is time consuming and usually not cost effective for
a laptop this old.

KevPro Computer Services
Kevin Brown
480-214-0144