Date:
Tue, 6 Jan 2009 23:21:29 -0500
If you're PC is "freezing", yet your hard drive is working it's butt off (HDD light showing heavy activity, or audible activity), you very well may have a virus or other unwanted program running. It's kinda hard to tell, but probably what it is.

IF YOU HAVE A GOOD RESTORE POINT THEN:

Reboot PC and press F8 immediately following POST. From the list, select 'Last Known Good Configuration'. This will prompt you to system restore and you can select a system restore point from the calendar that you know when the machine was working properly.

This should have fixed the problem.

IF YOU DON'T HAVE A GOOD RESTORE POINT TO USE THEN:

If you remember the exact name of the program you denied, your best bet is to google it, you should find a result. You should find a pretty good description of the program and what you need to do, but may take a little digging through the results.

If you can't find anything solid that you are comfortable working with yourself, you can seek help from the forums of the "HiJack This" people, but it can be technical and usually there is help available in a relatively timely manner.

You could try booting into Safe Mode, press F8 immediately after POST. Try Safe Mode with Networking and you should be allowed to use the PC to troubleshoot over the web.

Another thing you can try is to boot to safe mode, left click start, left click run, type 'msconfig' then enter. From here I believe it would be the Boot.ini tab. You should see a list of services that are configured to run at startup. If you have a program that is running and occupying your CPU to the point that the machine won't run, there is an option here to 'Hide known Windows Components'.

What this does, is actually 'hide' or remove any windows components from view in the list of startup programs. Once this is done, you can 'select all' of the remaining startup components and disable them upon startup. This requires a reboot for changes to take effect. This ensures that only windows related functions are run at startup and should let you startup and use the PC normally.

I would only recommend doing this if you feel confident technically, AND if you have valuable data on your hard drives you don't want to lose. It will be time consuming but you should be able to get to your documents and pictures that you want to transfer to a secure location (like an external drive, or a second drive in the PC). Once you get this accomplished you can reload windows if you can't resolve the issue.

If you don't have any important data that you can't afford to use, AND you have all of your original Operating System CD's and driver CD's and software, then it is probably much quicker to put your recovery CD in the PC and reboot. Upon startup, your system should boot to the recovery CD and then you can partition / format / and re-install windows on the machine.

I hope I covered everything! and I sincerely hope this helps!

Anyone else feel free to expand or elaborate if necessary!!