From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 May 2000 12:27:18 -0500
From: Dharam Bhardwaj :Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Microsoft Certification

Dharam,

I don't believe that you are ever to old to learn the academics.  I learned
NT on my own and then decided to get certified.  I found there was a wealth
of information that I had not learned and was really necessary to work with
NT. Over the last year I have started back to college and have been getting
my certifications and this fall I start the Cisco Networking Academy.  I
have completed 4 of the 6 tests for MCSE and I just finished a Novell
Netware Administration course at my local college.  There were 21 people in
the class ranging in age from 19 to me, with most in their 30's to 40's. I
was the oldest in the class, older then the instructor.  I am in my middle
50's, have 2 children in their 20's, 2 children still in high school and
have a grandchild.  I chose to stay home with my children and only got into
computers when we bought the first computer for the kids. I believe if you
want something and are willing to work hard you can accomplish it.  So don't
give up just becuase you think you are to old, get yourself some study
materials, check with your local college to see if they have any courses,
you are never to old to learn.  Check with your local school district and
volunteer to help the administrator, who knows it may lead to a job.

I agree with David that getting your certifications by just passing the
tests and not learning the material is not the way to go.  I would not
expect to be hired in a position like David has, I may have most of the
certifications but I lack the years of experience.  David and I may be
around the same age but I have only been working in this field for the past
5 years and on networks the last 2 years.   Micosoft is taking steps to try
to prevent people taking their tests from being able to memorize answers and
pass the tests.  The tests for Win2000 are supposed to be based more on
scenarios and problem resolution and are supposed to be passed only by
people who have had a year of experience on Win2000.  They are retiring all
of the NT 4.0 tests this Decmber 31st and will require all current MCSE's to
upgrade their certifications to Win2000 by Dec 31st, 2001 or lose their
certification.  This also applies to MCP's who are certified through a test
that is being retired.  Certifications are supposed to show that you have
good basic knowledge of all aspects of the subject that you are certified
in, not just certain areas.  Therefore when on the job and asked to perform
a task within your certification you should be able to do the job without
constant supervision in a timely manner.  Without a good understanding of
how a network works or how an OS works, it can be immpossible to
troubleshoot a problem, or even determine where to start to troubleshoot the
problem.  Unfortunately, the number of paper MCSEs have diluted the meaning
of the certification.

Good Luck Dharam

IMHO
Mary Wolden

> David,
> While I tend to agree with you in principal, my experience shows that the
> piece of paper is high up in the order. Over the last few years, I have
> acquainted myself with the NT4 networks and now I am working on the 2000
> class, and yet I am unable to find work because of no paper. At my age
> (old), I can't see myself learning the academics of utp, cat5, cat2, rj45
> and explaining that to someone for work. Yet, I know I can hook up a NT4
> network (except group policies/shares) from scratch, including building
> the machines,  with ease, includes internet, intranet. At home, I have
> already upgraded to the 2000 network and presently struggling with Active
> Directory and remote deployment. But no paper no work. Wish me luck
> though.
>
> Dharam
>
> Dave Gillett wrote:
>
> >   As someone hiring people who might (preferably) be MCSEs, I'm
> > looking to hire knowledge and not pieces of paper.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html