From:
"Dean K. Kukral" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Sep 2007 12:32:26 -0500
I would like to know whether turning off my new LCD display will make it
last longer.

It has a low power state that it goes into after a while, and I always
assumed that was good enough, so I never turned it off, even when I shut
down my computer for the night. However, I recently read somewhere that LCD
screens have backlights that are always on, so that you can increase the
longevity of the screen by powering it down.

The question is (purely from a longevity point of view - NOT from saving
energy or avoiding power surges, etc) when I go a way from my computer
should I turn off the display?

(It is very easy to do, and it comes back on fairly quickly, so it's not a
big thing to do.  It does have a low power state, and I do have the "screen
saver" set to black.)

If the answer to the above is "yes," then how long do I have to be away from
the computer to make it worthwhile.  For example, starting up many
electrical devices can be hard on them, or it can be energy intensive, such
as with fluorescent lights.  So, you don't want to be repeatedly turning
them off and on.

Maybe one of you has the experience or training to answer this...

Dean Kukral

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>