From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jul 2001 10:46:31 -0400
Answers to the (was) question, and a similar story,
(actually "rant"),  about some trouble of my own...

I think the Zip250 problem can be solved in two ways...
Unplug it, (not likely in long term...), or keep a disk in it.
The system is looking for files or a file system on that disk,
and timing out looking for one...

Did you say 4in1?  From the Roxio site Win98 FAQ.
FAQ 6. Look at the configuration of your drive. For IDE drives,
Busmastering IDE controller drivers are a known conflict
with our cd writing software. Go to the settings tab in Device
Manager for each IDE cd device on your system and remove
the check mark for the DMA box and then click ok and when
prompted, reboot your system.
(Note: My drive requires DMA on and Master...)

I have the opposite problem with a TDK CD/RW drive
VeloCD 12x10x32_A_   ( an IDE internal).
I can rip quick for my 233mmx (12.5x) and can burn CD/RW
at 10x (on Memorex HS-8+10X media) but the same files on
CD/R fail at all speeds except 2x.
This is ONLY about AudioCDs from WAV files on my hard drive
recorded by myself from 20 year old tapes for this test... Bummer...

I have tried various Media including what came with the drive,
TDK branded disks...
I am afraid to open the second box of the same drive I bought
for another machine, since the machine had been running fine
with an Acer at 10x on CD-Rs...   I do not know if I should return
it, try both or what...
I have tried various DMA on/off, AIN on/off, Master (+slave),
Master alone (it says it requires being a Master), tried the newest
patches to Roxio v4 and v5 (different machines different OS),
ditching the Roxio (both) and using the TDK mixer/burner software
(installed after the Roxio was gone), and all I have now is a giant mess...
I can not even access ANY CD disk on "this" computer. --(Win95B,
had been Roxio v4...)
AND, the Roxio software freezes this computer...  I keep getting deeper
and deeper... (Mail, the Browser, and most non-multi-media stuff
works fine...)

I used to think I had trouble with my Acers, but I generated more
coasters in the last two days than the last three years combined
on three other burners!!!!   This is a very fragile technology.
I'm getting ready to stick in a blank hard drive and set up a minimal
system from scratch and see when it "breaks" again... (Tonight?.)
Wish me luck...  Thank goodness I do not have Product Activation
on the OS yet!!!  Hal, this is a "you are not alone" message...
                                    Rick

From: "Hal Jordan" <[log in to unmask]>
> Installed new Sony CRX168B 16X CD RW. Burns CD R's no problem.
> B's Creator, Nero 5.5 and Sony's "DriveCheck" utility all say NOT a CD RW.
> Nero says "drive not support this type of media." (it's brand new Sony CR
> RW)
>
> Tried drive in my PCChips box with WinME. Same result with Nero. Old 2X HP
> works fine there with CD RWs and Nero.
> Returned to Staples for exchange.
> New one does same damn thing!! What the ***BLEEP*** am I doing wrong!?!?!?!?
>
> I don't even WANT to use CD RW's, but I got 11 of them free with purchase.
> (Don't even suggest it. I want it FIXED!)
>
> I have Zip250 drive. With it plugged in, Nero takes 30 seconds or more to
> launch. Without it, no affect on burn results, but Nero launches in 3-4
> seconds. The Zip is by itself on IDE2

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml