Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 21:16:11 +1000
---- Original Message -----
From: "Michael T Miller" <[log in to unmask]>
To: <[log in to unmask]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 18, 2000 10:34 AM
Subject: [PCBUILD] FC-PGA on an LX motherboard

> >      1) If your motherboard doesn't support that multiplier (say x8 for
>   533) for the CPU, it won't work reguardless of the Sloket adapter used.

Not true.

>      2) If the proper Sloket adapter is used that supports the multiplier
>   and voltage, your OK.

If the mobo won't support the voltage, I won't plug it in reguardless which
socket adapter in use. If your mobo support hardware monitor, see what
voltage it is assign, if the reading is higher (I bet it will be), you are
not ok.

>      3) It doesn't matter. Reguardless of which clocking pin is grounded
on
>   a PPGA/FC-PGA CPU the multiplier is set at Intel. P-n-P multiplier so to
>   speak.

As long as you set the core voltage and FBS correct, reguardless what
multiplier you set, CPU will only run at designed speed. that's why you can
only rise FBS to overclock Intel CPU.

>    Anyone know where to find the documented truth?

Try Intel website. the best place is to search overclocker site, they will
tell you every thing.

>    Second, since LX motherboards and their BIOS never came close to
thinking
> of the concept of a Coppermine/SSE core and the manufacturers have no
> information (and doesn't care to offer any) on such, is there a way of
testing
> the motherboard for compliance?

Some hardware diag software and 3D benchmark software can test this.

Jun Qian

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                  http://nospin.com - http://nospin.org