From:
John Chin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 11 Jul 1999 00:43:36 -0400
Thanks to everyone who wrote, whether privately or publicly,
on methods of installing multiple copies of different
licenses of Win95b on refurbished computers.

As many advised me, and Jose Dominguez demonstrated to me,
the use of the OEM installation routine permits the
configuration of a Win95 system inclusive of the system
integrator's name, logo, et al. After tweaking it, you
can shut down and clone the drive with Ghost, then transfer
the installed OS to all similarly constructed PCs. The
initial boot up by the user will require the entry of
user and license information, completing the installation.
We then include the license packs with the PCs.

The low level format ("LLF") was performed outside of the
IBM system units with Troubleshooter. WDC and IBM drives
can only be sector-zeroed with the drive makers' utilities,
which is not as good as a LLF since the magnetic signals
defining the tracks and sectors are not renewed.

One can LLF an IDE hard drive but the proper software
(versed in the commands integrated into the drives
themselves) and procedure should be employed. A five
year old drive should be rejuvenated with a LLF or replaced
to retain one's comfort level regarding data on the drive.

My own belief is that replacement of mature drives containing
precious data is wise, with the added advantage of increased
drive capacity and performance. However, one should not look
a gift Pentium computer in the mouth.

Appreciatively,

John Chin

                            The NOSPIN Group