From:
Sidhaar Rehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 22 Feb 1999 11:32:20 +0400
At 06:59 PM 2/21/99 PST, you wrote:
>>My advice to anyone is to stay away from Winmodems.  The only reason to
>>actually buy one is because they are cheap.....not for reliability.
>>
>>Personally, I don't buy anything but U.S. Robotics for my own use.  I
>>have had customers request cheaper (price AND quality) and they usually
>>have problems....even though I warn them.
>

>>> HI
>>> I am currently considering buying a Amquest Hypermodem to replace my
>old
>>> Etech.  Amquest used to be a top rated modem, but then was sold to
>KDS.  I
>>> find the  allure of being able to buy a internal data/voice/fax/svd
>for
>>> thirty dollars too hard to resist, unless I get some negative
>feedback here
>>> from this post re Amquest.  One thing that makes this a easier
>decision, is
>>> the simple, easy to follow information on the Amquest web site, re
>drivers,
>>> installation, etc.   PCWorld had a Amquest modem in its top ten list
>for
>>> February, and when I consider lifetime warranty, and toll free
>support,
>
>I currently use and install Purtek modems almost exclusively and very
>rarely have any problems with them. Most of the problems that I have had
>were because they were installed on systems that did not meet the
>minimum requirements of that particular modem model. I have used other
>"name brand" modems and did not notice that they were any more reliable
>than the Purtek units. I am also pretty sure that USRobotics was one of
>the first companies to offer winmodems and that most of their current
>modems are winmodems.

You got it in a nutshell, Denis. In fact, I have been a user of winmodem for
more than 3 months now and I am totally satisfied with it. It is a 56K
winmodem and I even once got connected on 50K pbs  I have had a complete
panoply of modem since the 2400 baud era, ranging from US Robotics, Prolink,
to Zoltrix, just to name a few and they weren't any better than the
winmodem. Well, that's my opinion.. Moreover, it is cheap, without any
jumper to fiddle with and it is so easy to setup without mentioning it has
full duplex capability . It is a good bargain for those who have fast
machine. Again. it is only my experience.

Sidhaar

                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html