From:
Madelon & Mike <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Jul 1999 12:41:11 -0500
I successfully installed Boca winmodem without removing ISA slot
hardware modem.  The Boca is on Com3, the Motorola on Com5.

I put the modem in the 2nd PCI slot; when the Intel SVR III card
arrives I will put it in the 3rd slot.  I did read on the Intel
SIG intel.other_products.video_capture that there are IRQ
conflicts when their capture card is placed in PCI slot adjacent
to ISA slots.  This doesn't necessarily apply to winmodems but
it might. What guru can see that far into the gloom?

Michael Eisenstadt

Peter Ramins wrote:

> >which has 3 ISA slots and 4 PCI slots.  I know that there are
> >interrupt issues between the first PCI slot and the 3rd ISA slot
>
>     Mr. Eisenstadt's recent post mentioned this... What is the issue? I
> didn't know that the system limited IRQ availability depending on which slot
> you installed a card in, is this true?
>
> I'm asking because I have a Motorola SM56 Winmodem (bleh!) installed, and
> for some odd reason, the modem doesn't respond to 'extra settings'
> (different init strings, etc.).  If 'extra settings' is empty, there's no
> problem, modem works fine, for the most part, but I would like to tweak the
> init string.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html