From:
"Walter T. Bender Sr." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Aug 2003 05:05:16 -0700
After you FDISK'd did you FORMAT the partition?  If you don't FORMAT C: you will get those responses.
WTB

John Sproule <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
I like using the hard drive manufacture's utility disk when starting over
with reinstalling the operating system. You can use the utilities to check
the integrity of the drive itself, first; then, you can use the function
that writes zeros to the disk, essentially returning it to the condition it
was in before it left the factory. Check to see who made your drive, and
visit their web site to download these utlities and make a bootable diskette
with them.

Assuming that the hard drive utlities certified the drive as still ok and
you successfully zeroed it out, then I would move on to creating a partion
with fdisk, using either your windows start up disk or by booting off of the
HP recovery CD. Once the partition is created, you should be able to format
it by booting from the recovery CD.

Anyway, that is what I gathered from looking at HP's online support
document, "HP Pavilion Desktop PCs - Recovering the System after the Hard
Drive is Replaced". The link is given below, but since it is so long you
will probably need to cut and paste the whole thing into your brower's
address window.

http://h20015.www2.hp.com/en/document.jhtml;jsessionid=JBQL0T0JCO5PHQEXGRMEOSQ?reg=na&cc=us&docName=bph05579&lc=en&

HTH

John