From:
"LaMont K. Bankes" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 20 May 1998 23:33:39 -0600
>I have a 486 and want to upgrade by transferring my present hardware to
>a bare bones system that I plan to put together.
>
>I have narrowed my search to 3 motherboards to be used with a AMD K6
>listed in the order of preference:
>    1.  Abit TX5 (because of Tom's Hardware Guide recommendation) at
>$139;
>    2.  ASUS TX97-VV (because of on board sound and video) at $239;
>    3.  Iwill P55xb2 (becasuse of a PC Club recommendation) at $119.

   I have used my PA-2007 made by FIC for about 10 months now with an
AMD-233 K6 and have been very pleased with it.  The motherboard runs around
$105 with 1mb of cache.  I have also just upgraded another computer with the
FIC VA-503 running an AMD-233 K6 and was pleased with the performance.  This
motherboard has 1mb of cache and uses the VIA VP-3 chipset.  The VP-3
supports an AGP port, so if you are looking to upgrade your video card in
the future to AGP, this might be something to consider.  The VA-503 was
around $79.  The board that I am currently looking at upgrading to is the
VA-503+.  This board supports the 100mhz bus and the 2x AGP port.  It is a
new board just recently released and runs around $120.  It will also handle
the new AMD socket 7 CPU's coming out.  Good luck on your search and have
fun!

LaMont