From:
Jeffrey Ottie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 1 Sep 2002 17:15:15 -0400
The power supply in my 3 1/2 year old Gateway computer appears to have
failed in the past twelve hours as a result of (or conincident with) a power
outage that occured early this morning.  My meter doesn't indicate any
output to the various peripheral plugs and the fuse located near the AC line
entrance inside the power supply seems to test okay.

My question is where do I go for a decent and reliable replacement power
supply that doesn't cost an arm and a leg?  Must I replace the apparently
failed unit with an Gateway OEM solution or can I find what I need to get
this machine up and running again elsewhere?

Though this machine has some miles under its' belt, it's been a dependable
workhorse for everyday computing tasks and backgroud distributed computing
projects.  Originally delivered as a Celeron-powered Gateway G6-333c, I've
upgraded it long ago with a 450 MHz Pentium II processor, 128 MB of good
quality 2-2-2 PC-100 memory and Windows 2000 on an NTFS partition.  I guess
what I'm saying is that this machine has been a good friend along side my
much faster and newer Dell machines, and I'd hate to lose it (or the data
that's now inaccessable on the hard drive).

Here are the specs of the power supply that appears to have failed:

   Newton Power Ltd.
   Model NPS-200PB-96 A  REV:00
   S/N: R6844329723T
   Date Code: 9844

   Gateway P/N: 6500308
   200W / 700mA

Thanks in advance.  Any and all help will be gratefully appreciated.

--
Jeffrey Ottie