From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 May 2005 10:03:13 -0700
It only matters in the level of security each can maintain. Of course, only
NT4, 2000 ,and XP, will be able to run with NTFS file systems, which will
permit you to administrate them down to the file level, and establish
meaningful security profiles.

More of concern is your wireless security. I believe only XP can run ,
natively, WPA as it's security protocol. Microsoft has never provided
support for WPA in Windows 2000 or below. If the client is running Windows
2000, you will have to use third party appellants with Windows 2000 to
support WPA.

This means, in order to use the 98 boxes, your system will have to run WEP
as it's security protocol. I recently heard a talk from the head of IT, at
Harvard medical school,, who stated that any first year Computer Science
graduate student can compromise WEP in under 10 minutes. So if there isn't
a good reason to make everybody wireless, I wouldn't go that route.

Rode
The NOSPIN Group
http://www.freepctech.com/rode/

At 02:31 AM 5/23/2005, you wrote:
>I want to setup an inexpensive computer lab of five computers connected on
>wireless routers on fast speed internet. I shall be using used computers
>Would it matter if one computer is Pentium 2, other is computer 3 or 4. And
>if one is using Windows XP, other is on win 98.
>Please advise
>Jagpal S Tiwana
>Dartmouth, Canada

                     visit our download web page at: