From:
Bruce Boschek <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:29:32 +0100
Hello,

Is there possibly a confusion of words here? I think the original question
was about putting an ethernet or token-ring card in the printer and NOT
about connecting it to a computer. This is the preferred way to connect a
printer to a network if it is to be used by more than just a small handful
of people. To do this you need a network adapter that either installs
inside the printer case (most middle- to higher-priced HP, Lexmark, Canon
printers have these available) or an external printer buffer/network
adapter. An ethernet printer adapter has a unique ethernet address which
can be assigned a unique IP-address under TCP/IP or may be addressed
directly in Novell networks. I don't know how this works under other
networks, but I would assume it is not difficult.

The advantage of a true network printer is that it is independent of a
"host" computer and is always available (assuming it is turned on). If you
connect the printer to a computer and then print from other computers, the
"host" computer must be turned on, working correctly and must make the
printer available for network use. With the multiple daily crashes of
unattended Windows PCs, these conditions may not be in any way reliably
met.

Any printer that can be used locally to print can be used for network
printing if the "host" computer is properly configured and the network
hardware properly installed. Not all printers can accept an
ethernet/token-ring adapter.

I hope this is of use to someone.

Respectfully,

Bruce

Bruce Boschek - Institute of Medical Virology - Giessen, Germany

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                        Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>