From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jul 2001 23:03:10 -0600
Susan;
DSL would be the most dependable option if available, and
you might be able to save on your extra phone line
as DSL can carry data and voice connections simultaneously.
But it sounds like you might be too far from Telco.
I have helped on the computer end with the installs of a couple
of two-way  internet dishes from Dish Network (Starband). www.starband.com
It works really well. I like almost everything about it............. except
the price.
About $700 for hardware initially, then $70 a month with a 1 year
commitment.
You can get it bundled with dish 500 TV for $99.95 a month.
Downloads are blazing fast most of the time.
Uploads can be a little slow at times, in the 56.6k range.
Gamers probably won't like the latency problem associated with a signal
traveling to and from a orbiting satellite.
Starband is only available currently in the continental US. and Alaska.
Dish network seems to be a good outfit, unlike the old Hughes Direct-pc
which was awful.
I have talked to their tech support people on several occasions and they
were helpful.
Two-way satellite is kinda' new so there will be glitches to be worked out
for sure.
I'm waiting for the "bleeding edge" price to come down alot before I go for
it.
maybe DSL will be available here by then.