From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Jul 2001 10:06:44 -0400
Well the simple answer is to get a new keyboard.  Especially as the f1
doesn't work.  You have to realize the fact the keyboard doesn't work at all
is not what the error message is trying to say.
The error message itself is what's called 'non-fatal' meaning the bios
doesn't detect the keyboard properly, but the error will not prevent you
from pressing F1 to continue. Some situations will result in you living with
a non-fatal error since it doesn't prevent normal operation. The quick fix
for this error is to press the del key to enter cmos as soon as you see the
message 'press del to enter setup' (usually while the pc is reading the ram)
and find the prompt that says 'keyboard detect' and change it to disable.  I
assume you mean you obtained a complete 586 based pc, you need to look
around in cmos setup for a cyrix cpu prompt and enable it.  This will allow
your bios to boot smoother, and depending on your software, you are supposed
to see a speed improvement (some software can't benefit from the cyrix
design advantages).
If you can't find a keyboard that will work with this motherboard, you have
a damaged keyboard circuitry, probably in the motherboard's keyboard
connector.  This is usually fixed by replacing the entire motherboard, since
the soldered components are difficult to work on.
Tom Turak