From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 May 2004 08:42:26 -0400
It is fairly simple...

You need a sound card with a line input... (I think they all do...)

To play the original tapes into the computer sound card, it helps
the "quality" if the player has a line output jack.
(For music you can tap into the speakers or headphone jack
and the results will be "acceptable"...)

To record into the sound card you need "recording" software.
The audiograbber program was shareware, but the guy went freeware...
(Hard to believe I know since the opposite usually happens...)
http://www.audiograbber.com-us.net/  (It has lots of features and
is an award winning program.)

As far as length or time per disk...  If you have equipment that allows
you to play CDs or DVDs that decode MP3 you can get ten times
as much on a disk. Otherwise, on a CD you get 74 or 80 minutes.
Playing back DVDs might be a challenge since that depends on
if the player is made for only movies or not... YMMV.

                       Rick Glazier