Date:
Tue, 3 Jul 2001 09:37:36 -0700
First, go to the modem manufacturer's web site to download a clean copy of the
latest driver for your modem. Next remove the modem in device manager, then go
to C:\windows\inf\other. Find the .inf file for your modem and delete it. Then
remove the PCI serial controller device in device manager. Shut down your
computer and physically remove the modem. Start your computer, it should
reinstall the PCI serial controller device. Check in device manager to see if it
is installed with no exclamation point. Extract the files from the copy of the
latest driver to a directory in either c:\temp or c:\windows\temp. Now shut down
and physically replace the modem, and be sure it is completely seated in the PCI
slot. Connect the sound cable from the modem to your sound card. Restart and you
should get the new hardware wizard. When it asks for a driver, specify a
location (the folder where you extracted the driver files), and browse to your
folder with the new driver files then click OK. Windows will find the .inf file
and install the new driver. That is about as clean a new install as you can do
without hunting down every old driver file in the system directory.

Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Serial Controller problem

> > Hello,
> > I've recently come across and issue with a Compaq Presario 5240
> > model. While trying to install the OEM drivers for the original modem,
> > I continue to get the error message modem device is not responding. The
> > modem was working find before the hardrive was recently formatted. I
> > notice in the Device Manager setup there is an yellow question mark
> > beside the PCI Serial Controller device. Originally the modem was
> > configured on COM port 2. But now the during the installation of the
> > modem drivers the computer on recognizes COM port 1. I would really
> > appreciate any assistance on this issue.

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>