From:
John Sproule <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 23 Mar 2008 10:54:41 -0400
The issue of memory latency depends a bit on what processor you'll be
running.  The newer Core 2 and subsequent processors from Intel have proven
themselves to be fairly independent of memory bandwidth and latency issues.
If this is the direction you're going with your new build, I wouldn't worry
too much about getting memory that is capable of running at speeds over
DDR2-800 or handling CAS latencies below 5.  You'll be better off putting
the money you save (by buying more generic memory, instead of memory binned
for higher speeds and lower latencies) into a better video card or faster
CPU, if you are looking for improved performance from your new system.

While running your system memory at faster speeds and with lower latencies
will yield better scores on memory benchmark tests, you'll have a very hard
time seeing much improvement in other computing tasks, especially game
benchmarks.  Again, this is with a Core 2 type of processor.

Pentium 4's have a reputation of being much more memory bandwidth hungry,
which is part of the reason that Intel kept increasing the amount of onboard
cache.  However, I haven't done much benchmarking with Pentium 4's; so, I
can't say whether you'll see much improvement in performance with one of
these processors once you get beyond DDR2-800 and CAS 5.  From what you've
said your plans are, I'd not put my money into more expensive memory, but
I'd save it for other parts and a CPU upgrade (from the P4).

In a subsequent post, you mentioned looking at 8800 and 9800 PCI-E video
cards.  Of the 8800 series, the 8800GT 512MB card is a very gaming good card
for the money (I'm using one myself).  The only 9800 series card card from
Nvidia available now is the 9800 GX2, which essentially is two,
underclocked, 8800GTS, 512mb cards put together to make one card and selling
for $600.  You'll need to make sure that your power supply and case can
accomodate this card before you purchase it, if you go this route.

Just my 2 cents.

John Sproule